Job Description: Vice President of Engineering
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
The Vice President of Engineering is responsible for providing strategic direction, leadership, management and coordination of the engineering function across business units. Drive the performance of the engineering function performance to ensure that all engineering activities meet the required safety, integrity, financial and contractual requirements. Initiate and drive continuous improvement activities across the function.
- Act as a member of the senior management team providing strategic and operational guidance to support ongoing development of the business.
- Serves as an escalation point for individual and systemic engineering issues within the organization.
- Manages the customer relationships at senior level, develops long-term relationship with key customers. Works with the customer to shape and deliver solutions – seeks feedback and innovates with the customer to drive and deliver improvement. Works with business development to target new. Presents new technology and innovation at conferences, client events.
- Creates and manages implementation of long-term strategic plans which define business strategy resource requirements. Oversees planning and control process in the engineering teams. Conducts regular reviews to ensure the execution of tenders/projects according to agreed targets in terms of schedule, quality, cost and customer satisfaction. Monitors quality metrics identifies opportunities for improvement and oversees improvement activities.
- Creates and implements strategies to ensure that business risks are identified and managed, and business opportunities are exploited as a part of business planning.
- Collaborates with the supply chain function to develop strategic partnerships with key suppliers of services and equipment needed for engineering.
- Guides the business in building engineering/operational capability through training, mentoring and shadowing programs. Supports business unit in establishing and deploying required frameworks/processes. Ensures processes are in place to capture and share best practices and operational experiences. Supports global business unit strategy with defining concepts for business unit-specific occupational.
- Manages the capital plan and budget
- BS Engineering; MS or MBA preferred. Ten years leadership experience in heavy manufacturing
- Maintains competence through continuous learning via trade shows, professional organization membership and participation, and continuing education
- Understands the technical aspects of the product including unique features and capabilities.
- Demonstrated technical skills in strategic planning and marketing, business and market development, and market research and planning.
- Thinks strategically and approaches all efforts from a future, proactive standpoint. Utilizes formal problem-solving methodologies.
- Exhibits a passion for results.
- Demonstrates accountability and ability to hold others accountable.
- Achieves credibility at all levels through technical competence, drive, follow through behaviors, and solid communication skills.
- Actively seeks, share, and applies new concepts to continuously improve self and others.
- Works effectively with others individually and in teams in pursuit of organizational goals.
- Plans and supports the development of individual skills to maximize individual and organizational growth and achievement.
- Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others achieve results.
- Excellent facilitation skills applied regularly.
- Skilled in project definition, programming, and execution.
- Skilled using computer applications including MS Office, MS Project, Lotus Notes, Minitab, Intranet, and Internet.
- Strong background in manufacturing concepts such as Lean, Kaizen, Six Sigma, etc.
- Understands the processes and operation of the entire plant, including customer expectations.