With a specific focus in product design and analysis, this member of the Mechanical Engineering organization will carry out tasks related to the development of next-generation and new-to-market automated blood analysis products.
This team member will be specifically responsible for the design and analysis of electro-mechanical components and assemblies used in final products. Within a fast-paced product development atmosphere, design input requirements will be converted into fully detailed mechanical design output requirements and specifications by conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing mechanical parts and assemblies for proper performance.
Mechanical component prototypes will be created via 3D CAD design for fabrication with traditional machining and 3D printing as well as through hands-on prototyping. Conceptual designs will be translated into final concepts with manufacturing and production intent.
- Upholds group and industry standards in the design and drafting of mechanical subcomponents.
- Designs and develops complex components and sub-assemblies.
- Analyzes system functionality and prepares engineering specifications in order to fulfil design requirements.
- Analyzes sources of design variation including mechanical tolerance stack-up calculations.
- Hosts appropriate design & peer reviews of new designs and analyses.
- May provide limited technical guidance and/or supervision of other group members and technical teams.
- Independently plans, performs and prioritizes tasks in alignment with corporate goals and objectives.
- Acts as a Core Team Lead or Technical Lead, or individual contributor for a specific project. Accountable for the completion of assigned deliverables in accordance with approved schedules.
- Designs and develops technical apparatus.
- Independently analyzes and interprets data, identifies trends and formulates next steps.
- Recommends suggestions for department improvements
- Effectively communicates technical information to a cross-functional team in the form of documentation, presentations and technical summaries.
- Responsible for authoring documentation and participating in activities in support of design control.
- Provides input to or independently generates schedules for related to assigned projects.
- Provides technical support or leads investigations in support of development and/or on-market activities.
- Identifies product defects and able to recognize outliers in results. Is able to explain and document product defects and their impact.
Budget managed (if applicable):
Internal Networking/Key Relationships:
- Will interface on a regular basis with groups across the organization as needed
Skills & Capabilities:
- Demonstrates technical confidence to interact with engineers of other disciplines, supports technical discussions, and demonstrates the ability to make technical decisions.
- Ability to appreciate complex system or process interactions and the effect on systems
- Demonstrates the ability to independently apply root cause analysis techniques
- Capable of proactively identifying potential technical obstacles and reprioritizing activities accordingly.
- Detailed knowledge of common manufacturing methods.
- Experience with CAD systems (CREO a plus).
- Experience with statistical analysis a plus.
Minimum Knowledge & Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering, Science or related field, with a minimum of 5 years of experience, Master’s degree in an Engineering, Science or related field, with 3 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in Engineering, Science or related field.
- In-vitro medical device experience highly desired.
- Not Required
- Some domestic and international travel may be required