Job Description: Clinical Microbiologist and Molecular Technologist
Department: Clinical Laboratory
The technologist will perform microbiology work while also training in new molecular diagnostics techniques. Performs lab tests in the areas of bacteriology, mycology, parasitology. Identifies bacteria, fungi, parasites and perform antibiotic susceptibilities. Hands on experience with clinical laboratory procedures, examinations, and other tests pursuant to established protocols including maintaining equipment, records, and performing quality assurance activities related to examination procedures requiring the exercise of independent judgment and responsibilities. Training in molecular diagnostic methods (PCR) including nano-molecular diagnostic microbiology will be provided.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets-up and performs a variety of routine and/or complex laboratory tests and procedures relevant to the particular lab area. Prepares and tests specimens for examination and reports results.
- Follows established in-process quality control procedures including recording data.
- Performs routine and/or preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment.
- Troubleshoots basic instrumentation, culture media, chemicals, reagents, stains, solutions, technical problems and methodologies.
- Maintains sufficient supplies at work station.
- Ensures and maintains quality control and assurance activities.
- Uses Infection Control practices and procedures including, but not limited to, wearing gloves, goggles, protective masks and other safety equipment.
- Performs related duties, as required.
- Bachelors Degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology or related degree required.
- Current certification through the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) required.
- Licensed by New York State Education Department (NYSED) as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist, required.
- Minimum of five years work experience and/or training specific to microbiologist required.