R&D Senior Program Manager – IT Solutions
Manage & launch a portfolio of external clinical user facing IT solution products that support instrument product families within business. IT solution products includes (and limited to) data management solutions, cloud solution and cybersecurity for external clinical customers. The projects may include large multi-functional projects or a combination of hardware, software, and sustaining projects. Provide direct supervision to project managers who are responsible for projects within the portfolio. Participate in business strategic planning representing current and planned projects needed to implement the business strategy. Position requires strong, cross-functional leadership skills in a highly technical medical instrument product development environment. The position also requires regular interaction with scientists, hardware engineers, software engineers, finance, marketing/sales, quality, manufacturing, administrative personnel, and senior management. Responsible for forecasting project performance and providing recommendations for project or organizational changes needed to achieve business objectives. Receives guidance on unusual and complex problems whose solution exceeds the approved project boundaries. Authority of position is that required to carry out assigned duties, except where expressly reserved by the senior management personnel or Corporate /Divisional Policy.
- Vision & Strategy: Identify & Drive long-term roadmap with cross-functional team
- Technical and Program Leadership: Provide technical and team leadership to a portfolio of projects. This may include directly leading one of the projects. Leadership entails planning, scheduling, assignment of work, and technical support within the project area.
- Program Planning and Scheduling: Responsible for integrating the project plans of the projects within the portfolio to maximize business objectives. This includes managing the project specifications, project milestones, and resource allocation between projects. Generates a program plan that meets business objectives and the design control process, while maximizing resource efficiency.
- Program Execution and Control: Responsible for conducting regular project reviews and milestone reviews. Ensures deliverables are completed and documented. Approve changes to project plans that are within defined project boundaries.
- Problem Solving Leadership: Responsible for coordination of business resources to assist project leaders to identify the root cause of any project issues and assist in the implementation of resolution plans.
- Functional management: Responsible for the growth and mentoring of R&D project managers within IT solutions organization
- Risk Management: Responsible for ensuring project leaders are identifying and mitigating project risks, both technical risks and management risks. Identify risk trends and patterns across projects and develop risk mitigation strategies for systemic or organizational risks. Regularly assess and report the status of overall program risk.
- Design Control: Creates and maintains file to current phase ensuring accuracy. Ensures compliance with Design Control practices.
- Resource Allocation: Ensures that an adequate pool of equipment and resources are available to meet the needs of the projects within the program’s portfolio. Works with other program managers to make the best use for the business of shared resources.
- Supervision and Employee Performance: Works with functional management to conduct performance appraisals and coaching for project core team members and makes recommendations about salary actions, reclassifications, transfer or termination. Provides direct supervision to Project Managers and Project Integrator assigned to the program.
Budget managed (if applicable): N/A
Internal Networking/Key relationships:
- Communication: Responsible for program communication to the business team and executive management. Regularly interacts with executive management concerning program status and strategic planning.
- Based on project/assignment needs
Skills & Capabilities:
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Project Management
- Developing Direct Reports
- Strategic Thinking
- Written and Oral Communications
Min Knowledge & Experience required for the position:
- Experience in medical device domain. R&D experience on data management systems such as clinical user facing LIS/HIS/RIS, cloud solution and/or cybersecurity will be a big-plus
- BS Degree, MS/MBA preferred, in a technical or management discipline; additional course work in accounting, business economics, resource management and project management is desired. Project management certification is desired.
- Requires full and comprehensive knowledge of the complete product lifecycle, including all aspects of product development from conception to manufacturing introduction.
- Experience in the development and release of at least one successful product launch of a medical instrumentation product is required.
- Ten years product development experience, including five years in successful technical leadership, project coordination, or project management are required.
International Mobility: Required: no
- <5% of time